Saturday, September 18, 2010

Rainy dog torture






One of these dogs is not like the other...

Griff says if balls are involved he could care less about rain. Guinn says old mendogs should not be subjected to the elements. Zoe is confused.

We are getting rained on intermittently at the Oregon Coast this weekend. Griff and I did my last two runs (40+ mins, maybe 3.6 or something miles each) on the beach. Yesterday's was face-full-o-rain run, and I could barely see while running downwind on the beach. Griff, luckily, is unphased and chased seabirds like the herding dog he is. It was pretty awesome. That, plus trips to the beach for ball-chasing and tomfoolery have yielded three pretty tired dogs.

It's a nice time to get out of Portland and do some reflecting and planning. And a quick trip to Rogue Brewery, which yielded a new hat, two large bottles of Chocolate Stout, and a case of the new McRogue XS Scotch Ale. Wanted to stop in the bar and try their new whiskey, which the Rogue guy told me is very much like a single malt Scotch. But drinking whiskey, alone, at 12...hmmm. Maybe next time.

Tomorrow is the seven mile long run, and I am freaked. I have never, ever run 7 miles at one time. 6.5 is the max, ever. I can't decide whether to suffer through treadmill monotony, run outside and risk overdoing hills, or combo it up. I don't want to run Griff that far, so I could only take a dog through part of the run. Zoe kind of hates running unless it's off leash at the park, and Sunday is usually really busy at the park we run at (off leash is sort of illegal there...but often done).

I really want to make soup today, but don't want to buy the spices and staples I have at home, so I bought a can of Amy's tomato and will make do with that. Maybe curried butternut squash carrot soup will be made next week, especially if I score another home grown squash at agility class.

Now gonna sit around, pondering whether a run today is a sabotage of the seven miler tomorrow, and watching Twilight on Showtime. Does anyone else watch movies they own when they come on TV? I will do it every time with the Shawshank Redemption, even if I come in the middle of the movie. Strange.


No comments: