Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I think I have the flu

Or else just feel like crap.

Agility class last night was a total mixed bag. I was very much to blame as I was really distracted.

What was nice: weaves (except for one really difficult entry), contacts, no knocked bars.

What was not: almost all my handling. He ran off when another student and his dog were too close to the obstacles, but came back when I called without making contact, so that was a mixed bag.

He's funny in agility. I have no problem taking him to the dog park or off leash hiking around other strange dogs, but I worry that his degree of arousal in agility makes him likely to have a snark fight with another dog. He's not serious, but there are a few dogs (one in my class, and the belgian in the next class) that really set him alert, and I'm not sure what he'd do if he got too close. Bah.

I think my trainer gets annoyed with my inconsistent handling, but sometimes I get lost in class! Before trial runs, I study the course map in detail over and over, but in class it's walk a few times then run.

Poor Griff. He tries so hard to cope with my shortcomings.

2 comments:

Lisa Foxworthy Stine said...

Awwwww, don't feel bad about your handling! I don't do agility if only because I absolutely cannot follow a course map to save my life. Seriously, if there were zombies chasing me thru the course, I'd be dead meat for my inability to follow the course. Back when line dancing was all the rage, I was just a complete embarrassment. Step aerobics? Not a chance, I get lost after left right left left left right spin; guaranteed I will have moved myself into the next room or tripped over someone elses step and landed on my butt. So don't feel bad. Some of us are just challenged that way.

delilahbowie said...

Heh, it's funny. I am usually really coordinated, but about every third front cross I look like I have two left feet.

(Ooh, Zombie agility, fun Halloween game! Except for all those poor sensitive herding dogs who'd lose it when being chased by a scary person...)