Monday, March 7, 2011

slacking, slacking, slacking

Short update...

Zig is in two classes right now, Agility Foundations and Puppy Intermediate. Agility foundations uses the Greg Derrett system supposedly which I'm not sure how similar it is to the way I've trained Griff, but there are definite differences. For one, no targets on the ground are used. We are focusing mainly on handling exercises such as focus, heeling with attention, jump drive, teaching two on two off (which is done with a clicker and shaping, and is slow going). We have run tiny"courses"-two jumps with no bars, table, tunnel, so a very small amount of sequencing. I wish I had my own equipment so I could start him on contact equipment but I guess slow is better than nothing. He does pretty well, it can take him awhile to warm up to shaping exercises in class but he's got great jump drive, loves to run the mini courses, his heel is coming along (for one of my dogs ;) ) and he's working on impulse control when the other dogs are running.

In puppy intermediate, which is our second time through the class, my main concern is getting him more comfortable around dogs his own age. He seems to have the most problem with pushy puppies his same age. He does well with younger ones and is very respectful of older dogs, but somehow pups his own age he seems nervous about. In particular, the really boisterous in your face types that like to launch into play before proper intros set him off. We will see how it goes. I also want to keep him thinking that people are a good thing. He barked twice at strangers yesterday on our walk, but one was a whole group with a boisterous dog. The other was a man in his backyard with an aussie of his own. Zig woofed but seemed to want to say hello, and then when the guy was obviously not coming out of his backyard, Zig laid down and waited for me calmly to finish talking.

Griff and I have practiced some one-jump activities to refresh his jump drive. He didn't knock any bars at his last trial although he did pop a weave pole at 12 which he has not done before (if the entry is clean, usually the whole set is clean). God, what I wouldn't give to have my own set up (and a giant backyard!)

Guinn turned 13 last week. OMG. That dog is amazing. Here's hoping he continues to be my old man.

Zoe is Zoe. Basically a good little housedog, not up for more at this point.

My goals are to finish Griff's level 2 CPE title at the next trial (we need one stupid colors and one stupid jackpot), figure out if I can find a place closer to home to train (getting very tired of driving!) and keep challenging the Zig monster, especially more shaping games, offering behaviors, and increasing play drive.

21/2 months til the wedding, eek!

No comments: