Monday, March 14, 2011

shaping frustration

Playing more shaping games with Zig, and finding he is not what I'd call a fiend at throwing behaviors. Since we've played so much on two on two off phone book work, his first attempt is to put paws on the object, then walk over it. If that doesn't work, he'll sit or lay down by it, as if to say, see how good I'm being! I was trying to shape him to pick up an object (in this case a light nylon bag). We got two feet on, walking on, four feet on, nosing the bag, then scooting the bag with a foot. The funny thing is, he will pick up anything off the floor, especially things he shouldn't all the time. He would not, however, even attempt to mouth the bag flat on the floor. When I held it up, he did put his mouth on the strap, which I clicked and rewarded, but as soon as it was down on the floor, here went the two feet on again. He just doesn't seem motivated enough to throw many behaviors out there, or have I rewarded him too much for stationary calm behavior?

It's frustrating, I really want a better retrieve and more retrieve drive, and I figured shaping the pick up and give would be a good place to start, but apparently he's not going to greet frustration by trying different things, but by laying down and offering good dog behavior. Seems a silly thing to complain about, but sometimes I worry he is growing up to be too mellow?!?

Sounds nuts, but Guinness stopped wanting to play with anything by the age of 2 and never found it particularly reinforcing. Zoe likes to play by herself and will tug but I never could use it much as a reinforcement because her shyness issues made her shut down in classes. Griff will retrieve well and I can use a ball as a reinforcer in class, a tug is less reliable. Zig seems to prefer to tug, but outside doesn't think toys are of much interest. *Sigh* I really wanted a toy nut.

In other news, driving is getting really old and it's going to cost me Griff's agility class I think. Since it's an hour to work each way, it is becoming harder to get motivated to drive an hour on my day off to Griff's class. If I could time it with work it might be easier, but then he'd have to spend 10 hrs in the car or time in the clinic, and I'd rather he not have to be exposed to that environment. *sigh* I guess I'll have to start putting out feelers for a closer class.

Even with complete lack of training Dad, John and I ran the Shamrock Run Sunday. Worst feeling race I've ever run although I don't think our time was much different than last time. Next year I really want to do the 15 K since they get medals. My knees were being assholes but that seems to be what I'll have to deal with if I want to run at all.

Crappy cell phone pic pre-race.

No comments: