Sunday, March 9, 2008

the art of dum

Attending vet school is a little like lunching with Mensa; you are liable to feel dumb the vast majority of the time. And, you get to feel dumb in a very smart way. You confuse things that no normal person even considers. Can you use barium sulfate to do a excretory urogram? If duodenal fixation is a sign of pancreatitis, how can you tell on a single radiograph? Is it guinea pigs or gerbils that get scurvy? (the answers are no, you can't, and guinea pigs) .


I have not yet come to terms with the fact that I've probably already forgotten more than I'll remember from vet school. I never thought I had a problem with memory, in fact, even underachieving in college I got decent enough grades to get into vet school. But now, it's daily doses of panicked blankness that don't foreshadow well for my clinical year.


Guinness, on the other hand, thinks headdresses are the dum. This was from his birthday party; ten years strong and still counting. He got a Vegetarian's Nightmare sandwich (all meats and cheeses), a bag of homemade dog biscuits, and much toasting in his honor. He says if vet school makes me feel stupid, I should just stay home and make him more homemade dog biscuits. Best to stick with what you know...


No comments: