Thursday, November 18, 2010

Things I need

With the approach of the ever-dubious holiday season, I have been pondering lately what it is in life I actually need. I feel the overwhelming pressure of giving people good stuff, and being given stuff in return happens, but it is often easy to be caught up in the idea that external stuff is necessary.

So, with that in mind, I'm going to try and keep a list of things in life I really need...and allow the other stuff to hopefully recede into the background, or the would be nice category.

So, ahem:

1. Exercise. Being laid up with crappy knees has really reminded me that I am much happier (read: saner) when I am exercising regularly. So, I will attempt to come up with more cross-training ideas while my knees heal and start taking better care of them (stretching, icing, etc.), because I forget to do these things.

2. Dogs. I definitely cannot survive without my dogs. So, more training, more outings, more dog one-on-one time.

3. Meaningful work. While the job right now is not as satisfying as I'd hoped, the profession is where I want to be. I need to focus on getting the most out of being there, learning on my own as much as I can, and honing my skill set.

4. A healthy relationship. Too often, I think J and I still take each other for granted, because we are not used, after four years of vet school, to being around each other day in and day out. I need to plan more one-on-one outings for us. As simple as getting coffee and reading a book, just so we are in each other's presence without tv, video games, chores, or even my fav dogs as distractors.


Some things I don't need
1. tchatckes
2. chocolate
3. impulse purchases
4. donuts


Here's a bonus pic of the blue dogs, having a wrestle. I've decided not to tape/glue Zig's ears. Ear set is just not that important to me.

No comments: