Wednesday, August 27, 2008

DM, agility, and vet school

I haven't posted in forever, mainly because I was afraid that the main dog was on the decline and I couldn't bear thinking about it. The G man was diagnosed tentatively with degenerative myelopathy in May and seemed to be failing quickly, and I was having a really hard time coming to terms with that. However, he's stabilized and is doing ok. Basically, he walks like a drunken sailor most of the time now, but he's still able to go for several mile walks and isn't at the stage where he needs water therapy, so we're taking it day by day.

Griff has still been going to agility classes and it's getting to be time to consider entering him in a CPE trial. I am freaked at the idea, but he's at least as good as some of the dogs currently competing in our class. I am not a very good handler, which I find embarrasing. I forget the courses easily, I turn the wrong way, I don't have a good instinct about how to handle courses. However, I don't think any of that is going to get much better without actually competing a bit, and I am afraid if I wait much longer I'll never enter a trial. His practices are either brilliant or ridiculous, depending on whether I can keep myself out of the way during his run. His teeter is not good, and his weaves are not there either. Both of theses things are my fault, of course. Well, at least the weaves are, maybe the teeter is his. Half the time he hits the thing like a dog walk, the other half he forgets what an obstacle is all together.

Vet school starts in about a month again, on to year three, and 22 months until graduation. Here's hoping I make it thru successfully.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I think we have all felt like this with our dogs. Dont think of the trial as something you have to do perfect. Its suppose to be fun. It your dog doesnt do the weaves just keep running. And believe me you wont be the only one that the dogs isnt doing thing right. I dont know you, but I think your putting to much pressure on yourself. If you screw up or your dog does, just laugh. Good luck. Diana